Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Dakota's acceptance scpeech at ELLE Women In Hollywood on October 19th, 2015.

Master Post HERE.

Video

Transcription by EDJ.

"I have not only admired but been a massive fan of Leslie's work since her films like #The cable Guy" and "Big Daddy" which played a fundamental one in my quest to make movies. I recently had the privilege of working alongside her on a project called "How to be Single". To watch an actress of her caliber flip between comedic brilliance and emotional intensity was enthralling and educational and to be accepted as her peer was transformative. And to have her like me enough to be here tonight to give me this award was basically the equivalent of saying like ten thousand positive affirmations into the mirror.

When I began thinking about what on God's green earth I would say up here tonight I felt this irritating pressure to impress you all with my message. My message. I kept looking for some richer, more textured way to say what I stand for and to find myself but the problems is that I'm not quite yet clear on what that is. And then all I could think was "Oh my Gos, You're a fraud and they're all gonna find out and you're a loser cuz you don't have a message and everybody is gonna know," And really all I had to do was write a short thank you for this great honor a simple like "bam, bam, bam, we're out," and I couldn't do it so now I just found myself being flanged to and existential crisis. Then I was wondering, "Do these other women here tonight, that I admire so deeply, feel this way, too? Do they question themselves? Do they feel so afraid sometimes?" And I'm gonna fo ahead and click yes on that because honey, you must, right? And if you say that you don't, you're a liar.

If I ever let it get it to me, I would literally never accomplish anything and I would be completely fucked so now I recognize this character trait as one of, if not the main thing, that drives me to challenge myself. Not only in my work but on a daily basis. To brightened my horizons and richened my experiences and foster the growth of my knowledge. The other fuel I use as the inspiration I feel for the work created by the women in this room, I'm truly astounded by your talents, time and time again. I see the work you pur for and I feel ingited with excitement and proud to be among such a magical group of artists. There are few women here tonight that I would like to...fuck.

There are a few women here tonight that I would like to specifically pay tribute to, two of them happen to be my extremely impressive dates: my mother, Melanie Griffith and my grandmother Tippi Hedren. As artists and as women, you have inspired me every day of my life. You have taught me by example that to be a woman of honor is to be kind and grateful, strong and elegant, ambitious and arrogant, curious and courageous. If I become a glimmer of the women you are, I will be the luckiest girl in the world...fuck. I don't even swear this much, it's just coming out. I wanna thank you both for encouraging me and supporting me in all my endeavors, excluding the time you let me corner all my hair on vacation when my scalp got sunburned, and also when I thought it would be cool to pierce my belly button and I wore dangly jewelry in it and also excluding when I changed on my name on my cellular telephone vocemail to bliss. Basically I want unthank you for all the times I'm embarrassed myself and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything else."

No comments:

Post a Comment