Sunday, January 24, 2021

New Interview of Dakota with GMA News about "Our Friend"



Los Angeles — Dakota Johnson may have shocked you when the sweet-faced daughter of Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith portrayed Anastasia “Ana” Steele in the erotic romantic drama hit franchise, “Fifty Shades of Grey.”

Now the 31-year-old actress is displaying her acting chops in dramatic vehicle "Our Friend" starring Casey Affleck and Jason Segel. Dakota talks of her choice of the role, her famous parents, her friends, what she learned about herself and relationships:

From “Fifty Shades of Grey” to this dramatic role in “Our Friend.” Tell us why you chose this role?

Dakota: It is an incredible story, a beautifully written script and I loved everyone involved in this film.

Your character Nicole is dying of cancer. Have you ever found yourself taking care of someone who is terminally ill?

Dakota: Yeah, I have been in that situation before. It was a very challenging experience to feel helpless and you have to do everything in the world to help someone get better.

What did you learn from the film?

Dakota: The main thing I learned from the film was how important it is to show up for people when they need you. That we have to be compassionate for someone.



You portrayed a mother here of two girls. Do you see yourself having children and a family in the future?

Dakota: Maybe. Yes. I loved working with those kids in the film. They were a lot of fun. They were funny and sweet.

What do you think audiences will get after watching the film?

Dakota: My hope is that it inspires people to be a better friend.

Do you think you have a close friend who will give up everything for you?

Dakota: I don’t know. I don’t like people giving up everything for me. I don’t want anyone to do that. But I do have friends who I know will take care of me.

What were your parents' reaction when you said you were going into acting? 

Dakota: I paid attention to them, to what they said of course. But I think they just knew that there was no stopping me, really.

I grew up on set and I always wanted to be a part of it. And so, the minute that I was old enough to make that decision for myself, I did. I love movies so much. And I grew up with people who love movies.

There are parts of this industry that can be difficult and tricky but it’s also beautiful and it’s incredible, so I’m so lucky to be able to do this job. Of course, my parents are proud of me.

Who is the longest friend you have had?

Dakota: The longest friend I've had is [someone I've been friends with] since we were babies actually. We've grown in so many different directions throughout our lives but she is still one of my most cherished beings and I think what I've learned about being a friend is the more you can embrace people as they grow and the more you can be brave and compassionate and vulnerable then the better your relationships will be.

What are your plans for Valentine’s Day? It's just around the corner?

Dakota: Wow. Valentine's – I haven't even thought about that at all. I think I'll be working. I start shooting a movie in the beginning of February so I'll be on set.

What have you learned about yourself and about relationships?

Dakota: I think relationships are the thing in your life that make you grow the most and how you give and receive love is everything. I think when you move through relationships — and different kinds, whether it's a friendship or a romantic relationship — it's like you shed certain things and adopt certain things. I think I've just become more authentic, more myself, purer.


+++


How was it working with Dakota and Casey?

Jason Segel: Dakota and I have known each other for a long time and so what was really wonderful about that was that playing the friendship part was very easy.

I had never worked with Casey before and Dakota and I had done comedy together so we had a shorthand in that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment