Wednesday, December 5, 2018

New Interview of Dakota with La Vanguardia [Spain]


What attracted her to this remake?

Dakota: It provoked me. There are many reasons why I choose movies and in this case many components come together. I think the combination of emotions and intellect in this film can work as a trigger for many things and I liked that. I think that art has to make you feel things and although when you go out of seeing Suspiria you stay very well, you will walk away from the cinema thinking, and that is something that makes me proud.

Had she seen the original?

Dakota: I saw it when Luca Guadagnino invited me to participate in his version. We were on the set of A Bigger Splash and he asked me if I had seen Suspiria and I answered no. He proposed that I act on his version and I said yes without having seen it. But when I sat down to see it, I understood how it has influenced many of my favorite directors. Maybe it's a phase, but last year I devoted myself to making genre films, something I never imagined, much less that they were as intense as this one. I must admit that filming this film has helped me to understand horror movies from a different perspective.



How was it to share scenes with Jessica Harper, the star of the first Suspiria?

Dakota: She brought a true legacy to this movie. Having her there was like having a rock star in the film, even though she has a very relaxed attitude. Her presence is a tribute to the first film and also to herself. It is something very beautiful that cinema has.

Does she feel more confident as an actress than in the beginning?

Dakota: I think the wonderful thing about this job is that I discover more about myself and my ability with each new role. I still do not feel completely safe as an actress, but I do not know if I want to reach that point, because I like not to know everything. I enjoy learning and making movies. I want to keep feeling that I have fun and that I am doing something new. Let's say I know now that I can do this job, but I'm never going to feel completely sure of myself.

How does she evaluate her years in 50 Shades of Grey today?

Dakota: It was a very intense and educational experience. I love those movies. I have nothing bad to say about them. I am very grateful to them, because I learned a lot about myself, about the collaboration in the cinema, about the industry, about the importance of having fun doing this work. I would not change anything I did. Would I do them again? I suppose that if it were in the same circumstances in which it was before doing them, undoubtedly. They helped my career to advance towards unthinkable places and I also grew a lot doing them. Even though there were plenty of setbacks, all this helped me grow and made me more resistant.

She was one of the first to support #MeToo. Where is the industry at this moment?

Dakota: I support Times Up and #MeToo one hundred percent. But I think that as a result everyone has their guard up in Hollywood. There is no longer any warmth in this industry. Even so, everything has been very positive for women and for gender equality in the workplace. I think it is important for the progress of human development. It is a time as interesting as it is peculiar and I am very grateful that there are so many incredibly intelligent women in this industry who are carrying this forward for the benefit of the whole world. Anyway, I'm usually so shocked by what's happening in the world that thinking about Hollywood issues is not among my priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment