Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Luca Guadagnino talks about "Suspiria" and mentions Dakota with Vulture


This is your second film with Dakota Johnson.
Luca: Isn’t she amazing? You know, she plays two roles, but the second role is not in the movie that is coming out. I’ve never said it to anybody, but this is a little present for Vulture. She was playing Naomi, the twin sister of Susie, back in Ohio.

Do we ever see Naomi’s face?
Luca: For a second in the main titles at the beginning: her sister looming there.

What was your first impression of Dakota?
Luca: I was casting A Bigger Splash, and we had to recast the role of Penelope. She was having a little holiday in Europe, so she came to see me in Crema. I remember she was very suspicious. She was really private in that meeting, but I knew it had to be her. I found her very sharp. I like intelligent people. And I like her face very much.

What is it about her face?
Luca: It can change very much. And I instinctively felt that the camera would love her face. I don’t want take off the individuality of Dakota in what I’m saying, but I can see Tippi Hedren. Dakota’s her own thing, but there are these remnants. And that’s so attractive to me because I am a big fan of Tippi. I love all the great Hitchcock blondes.

You made her a redhead here.
Luca: Auburn hair comes with a sense of unknown, to me.

When you two made that first film together, what did you learn about directing her?
Luca: She’s really bombastic, and she’s really bold. She doesn’t shy away. She goes for it. She’s not pretty and nice and acting. She’s really committed to be.

She’s not an actor who’s worried about her angles.
Luca: Oh, no. When an actor is worried about the angles, it’s the end of it. It’s like a date gone south.

No comments:

Post a Comment