Monday, February 1, 2021

New Interview of Dakota with la Repubblica



"I learned what it is like to be compassionate and helpful to others." Dakota Johnson talks about her new film, “Our Friend”. The 31-year-old daughter of Melanie Griffith and Don Johnson, granddaughter of Tippi Hedren, the legendary “The Birds” actress, Dakota Johnson has become almost more famous than her illustrious parents thanks to the “50 Shades of Grey” franchise potraying Anastasia Steele.

Recently released in the United States, “Our Friend” tells the true story of a woman, Nicole Teague, and her desperate battle against cancer and the sacrifice she demands from the whole family. The couple's best friend (played by Jason Segel) drops everything to look after the couple and daughters during Nicole's battle. Based on the article written by her husband, Matthew Teague (Casey Affleck in the film), published in Esquire in the United States in 2015, the film is considered a kind of modern variation of “Terms of Endearment”, (the famous Oscar winning film of 1984).

“Playing a person who faces death taught me how you have to be brave to be really attentive to yourself and others, because the idea that life can be so short is scary”, explains the actress through Zoom home in Malibu, “maybe love and compassion won't save your life, but certainly the lives of other people you love.”

“Our Friend” also talks about the value of friendship: do you have long-lasting and deep friendships?

Dakota: I would say yes: my best friend has been with me since we were little. We grew up differently, we took different paths in life, but it remains one of the most precious things for me. In friendships, you express the best of yourself, I believe, you can afford to be brave, take risks and be altruistic and compassionate at the same time.


Have you had direct experiences with the loss of loved ones?

Dakota: No, fortunately. So, I had to do a lot of research to understand the side effects of Nicole's specific cancer in the film, the effects of therapies and certain medications, and the consequences on the body and mind. There is a moment when Nicole realizes that people do not accept her and do not embrace her as they did after losing her hair, and that is something she has no control over. Nicole can become anyone with this wig, but it is not real. The only thing I was able to do with honesty and sincerity was to try to understand how painful and complicated it is.

Is it true that your parents didn't want you to be an actress?

Dakota: Yes, but when they saw that I had passion for it, they said, 'Okay, but if you really want to do that, never give up.' After all, I was born in this world, I know nothing but cinema, scenery, actors , their stories, their ideas, their talent. I love movies. I grew up with people who love movies. Of course, there is a dimension to this industry that is very difficult and maddening, but it is also very beautiful, creative, exciting. I wouldn't know where else to stay and what else to do.

Was there a time when you felt your mom and dad were proud of you as an actress?

Dakota: I would say that when my mom saw "Suspiria", she was shocked by the film, so reckless and scary. And also shocked to see me in such a different and unpredictable role. She would never have imagined me in that role, and she liked it. Her reaction surprised me, I didn't expect it.

Last summer, you filmed a film based on Elena Ferrante's book, "The Lost Daughter", under the direction of Maggie Gyllenhaal. Do you know Ferrante's work? What do you appreciate about this book?

Dakota: First of all, I have to say that working with Maggie and Olivia Colman was wonderful, but also very intense. Especially shooting in the Covid era: when you make a movie, you're already in your own bubble, but with Covid you're even more. I was never able to leave the cast or set, go out to dinner alone, we always had to be together. We shot in a small village in Greece, there was only one restaurant where we could go. It was an intense and rich period. And the book itself is very intense. As perhaps Italian readers will know, it is a book that talks about how complicated women are and the dynamics of mother-daughter relationships. Elena Ferrante. I read the Neapolitan novels and saw the series “A Amiga Brilhante” that I found beautiful, especially the second season. I am very happy to have been part of this film.

How does the film change from the book?

Dakota: Both Leda and Nina, the character I play, are very different. The film is set in Greece with a half Greek and half American family, so it doesn't talk much about Italian history; in fact, there is no Italian in the film, which makes it interesting, let's see how Italian fans will welcome it. What I found most interesting about Maggie's adaptation is precisely the fact that it shows us that it's not just Italian women and Italian families who are complex and complicated, we all are! And the way Maggie brought them to life is very emotional.


Do you have plans to work with your great friend Luca Guadagnino again?

Dakota: I spoke to Luca the other day and we said that if we find something to work with together, where we could be in the same place at the same time, that would make us very happy. So who knows? Maybe soon? Hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment