Wednesday, June 10, 2020

New Interview of Dakota with OK! Magazine UK - June 2020

   

Transcription by us

It was almost written in the stars for Dakota Johnson that she would become a successful actress, being the daughter of Hollywood legends Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith.

The 30-year-old has a breakout role in the Fifty Shades Franchise, and has since starred in How To Be single. Her latest film is feel-good comedy The High Note. Dakota plays Maggie, who is an assitant to a pop star who aspires to be more.

While Dakota's upbringing meant her talent was nurtured, it hasn't made her comfortable with fame or the interest in her personale life. Even though she's been dating Coldplay frontman Chris Martin for three years, she has never posted a photo of them together on social media. "I'm both lucky and I also find it difficult," she explains of her complicated relationship with being the public eye.

She doesn't keep everything to herself though. She has previously given fans an insight into her battles with mental health. "I've struggled with depression since I was young - since I was 14 or 15." She continued, "But I've learnt to find it beautiful because I feel the world. I guess I have a lot of complexities, bur they don't pour out of me."

Here, Dakota give us a small glimpse into her life.

Is it a conscious decision to not share much about your life on social media?
Yes - It's much more important to me to protect my privacy and my personal life than it is for me to market myself. I value my life. I also really value my relationships and I respect them. I don't need to flaunt muyself on the internet.



Did this decision to steer clear of social media come from a bad experience?
A little bit. It's really hard when the whole world has an opinion about your private life. It's really difficult to deal with that. For that reason, as much as I can get away front it, I will.

Did your mother give you any advice about keeping things private?
No. My mother is veru much on Instagram, an so my grandmother. They don't hace this problem. I havve a problem. This is just me.

Is fame something you embrace at all?
There's an aspect of my job that is a part of it, so I respect it and I'm grateful for the success of my career so far - but it's a complicated topic for me. I'm both lucky and I also find it difficult.

How do you cope with the negativity in the acting industry?
It's really hard. I think becomes a lot easier when you stay out of the way because fame is like a lot of mosquito noise in the background. When I was growing up, social media didn't exist and that's when I learned about fame. My parents were famous people, but it was a really different version of fame back then. It was very physical. It was very loud.

What's fame like now?
Back then, I'd go to places with my parents in public and it was scary sometimes, but now it's a lor more incognito. People are really sneaky. Social media is really sneaky. It's just differente and it's hard to wrap yor head arounf it or normalise it in any way because it's so not normal. I just try to do the best I can. I keep my head in my work and I make things that hopefully move people' hearts - an the rest is jus the rest.

What advice did your parents give you about fame?
To be honest, I think they are still trying to figure it out, too.

Why did you sign up for The High Note?
When I read the script, my heart fluttered and I laughed. I thought it was perfect, and I really wanted to see a movie with a woman at the centre of it. My character is a great role model for young women. She never gives up.

Did you and Tracee Ellis Ross [her The High Note co-star] bond over having famous parents?
We definitely talked about it. There's a lot you can say without saying much when it comes to relating to somedoby who gre up with a famous parent, or in her case an icon. I think we definitley recognised ourselves in each other a bit. It's very complicated, but knowing that there's somebody who can understand a little bit of whar that life's like is a wonderful feeling.

How similar are you to your character?
I identify with her ambition, goofiness and her love of music. I absolutely love music. In fact, I love music almost more than I love movies because I love it in purely an emotional way. When I watch a movie, I'm sutying, I'm dissecting and I'm learning.

How did you prepare for this role?
I learned how to play four of the songs for the movie on piano. I had piano lessons when I was a kid, but I haven't played since then, so I had to learn again. I also spent a bit of time with my friend Anne Clark, who is a musician who goes by the name St. Vincent. I stole a lot of things from her that she does in the studio.

Do you sing in the movie, too?
I don't like singing. I sing by myself or in my car, but that's it. I had done some singing in a movie that I shot right besore this one. In that movie, I had to sing in a community theatre and it was the most terryfying thind I've ever done. I guess doing that film saved me becaus I got over it through a lot of therapy. I did more singing lessons for this movie, too.

Do you have a large group of friends that you look after?
I don't have a large group of friends, but I have friends that I like to take care of. The people I love that are in my life, I love them fiercely. I'm loyal and nurturing. I want people to feel totally loved.

What do you like do do when you're not working?
I love sleeping. I love being with my family. I love the ocean. I love cosy things, like watching movies, reading books and leraning.

How do you look after your mental wellbeing in lockdown?
It's all about nurturing yourself and understanding that feeling will go as easily as the come. It's important to be kind to yourself. Try to allow any moods to happen, because there's no way this time is going to be easy for everybody all the time.

Scans

No comments:

Post a Comment