Monday, October 29, 2018

New Interview of Dakota with GMA News Network


On what the original “Suspiria” movie meant to her: 

I saw the original film after Luca had asked me if I would make this film with him. We were on the set of “A Bigger Splash” and he had asked if I had seen “Suspiria” and I said no.

Then he asked if I would do this with him and I said yes. I saw the film and I understood so many of the influences from some of my favorite filmmakers. It was as though a whole world had opened to me and I didn’t know about it before. So I just felt so lucky and I felt so excited.

On whether the horror movie genre is something an actress has to go through:

I don’t know if it’s a thing that you go through, if it’s a phase that you go through. Apparently, it’s a phase that I am going through or went through last year when I made these movies. I never thought that I would be into genre films, not as intense. But I really love them. I think I had to, for so long I only understood horror films from a very objective position and I didn’t find the love in them, but I guess I have in these last couple of movies and in “Suspiria.” It’s a love story.


On her relationship to the German Expressionist Dance:

I knew very little about the German Expressionist Dance. I knew the obvious expressionist dance. I grew up doing ballet but not seriously, only as you do when you are a young child. So when I was preparing for the film two years prior to filming, I was constantly watching the work of Mary Wigman and Pina Bausch. 

I learned this from the dancers as well who were training me and helping me to do to the choreography and really perfect everything. But there’s this raw, primal energy that comes through this style of dance that is more honest and is aggressive. It evokes such intense emotion in the audience because it’s beautiful but it’s not necessarily pretty.

I found that to be so exhilarating because in ballet, you go against gravity and you try to make everything look beautiful and not painful. You have a stoic face and you make no sound and you are light as a feather. 

But this is unapologetic and you grunt, the breath that naturally comes from your soul is welcomed and the sound from your feet on the floor is welcomed. It’s like existing in your body. I had not experienced that as a woman in the world and I found it to be liberating.

I was really inspired by these young women who are professional dancers, but I was inspired by the fact that they have to move their bodies in order to survive, in order to live. I thought that was amazing, not only do they feel an obligation to move their bodies, but they feel so grateful for them and such a respect for their bodies, whereas we grow up, girls now grow up comparing themselves to Instagram models and they don’t have respect for their bodies.

On looking back at her “Fifty Shades of Grey” experience:

It was a very intense, educational and fun experience. I love those movies. I don’t have anything bad to say about them. I am very grateful to them. I learned so much about myself, about collaboration, about the industry, about how important it is to have fun doing this job. I wouldn’t change anything about it.

Would I do it again? Yeah, if I were back in my circumstances before those movies, I would for sure do them again. They have led my career to a really incredible place and I have also grown so much from them. So even if there were some bumps in the road, I learned from them and they made me resilient.

On working with Jessica Harper who was on the original “Suspiria” movie:

She just brought such a legacy to this. We all felt like bowing to the rock star that is Jessica Harper when she was on set. I certainly did. I was just like wow, it’s you. But it’s just so cool. She is so cool and it’s an homage to the original film. It’s an homage to her and it makes everything full circle. It’s really a beautiful thing that you can do in cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment