Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Director Luca Guadagnino talks about "Suspiria" and mentions Dakota


Have you already finished Suspiria and that’s ready to be released on the world yet?

Luca: We are starting mixing in January. We’re going to be done by the end of February, more or less.

I’m excited to see what you do with that because obviously, Dario Argento’s film is a horror classic, so how has it been working in that realm?

Luca: It’s an absolute cult, but it’s been great. Well, I’d been wanting to work on that film forever. This has been a dream of mine since I was a very young boy. Then we tried to make it with my buddy David Gordon Green, and unfortunately, that didn’t happen, so it became my movie again. But I always wanted to make Suspiria, because I know that’s part of my imagery, it’s part of my way of being as a person. It has been a very complex, tough journey. In a way, it has been a very excruciating process, because the elements are so many — there is dance and horror, there is visual FX and there are special FX and make-up. There is a lot to do in this movie. There are 38 characters, so it’s very complex, but also at the same time, it has been an experience that has fulfilled me completely as a filmmaker, and I had the great privilege of working again with my very dear friend and sisters Tilda (Swinton) and Dakota (Johnson) along with new people that I worked with like Chloé Moretz and Mia Goth and a great cast of women. This is a great feminist film. I hope that people will embrace the radicality of it.

Any idea when we might see it? Are you getting it ready for Cannes or Toronto or a particular festival?

Luca: Well, we’ll have to finish the movie and then we’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment