Monday, February 24, 2020

Cailee Spaeney interviews Dakota about her style for the InStyle Magazine [March 2020 Issue]

Scans

Transcription by Us

CAILEE SPAENY: So, Dakota, you already know how much I love you, so it'll be easy to talk about your style right now. Your looks are just full-on cool girl. You have this perfect, effortless mix with all your blazers and your distressed jeans.

DAKOTA JOHNSON: Aw, Cailee! But, you know, I'm a real slob, and when you throw a blazer over anything, it looks chic.

CS: OK, that's true. [laughs]

DJ: You know, I love you, too. When we first met [on the set of Bad Times at the El Royale], I thought you were the most intense young woman I'd ever met. When you're nervous, you just get really serious. But it comes off like, "I am as deep as the ocean."

CS: Oh my god, I'm so red right now. But then you were basically like, "I'm gonna take care of you on this journey." And you did! We would always do those PopSugar quizzes together, like "What flavor ice cream are you" or "What Disney pricess are you?"



DJ: I think I was Snow White and you were Ariel. I take those quizzes seriously. I learned a lot about myself. [laughs]

CS: My favorite thing that you've worn was that pink Gucci bedazzled dress at the Premiere of Bad times [above]. So dreamy.

DJ: That was a good one. I loved yout short hair at that premiere.

CS: Thanks! I just cut my hair even shorter and I feel so badass. It's freeing. I just spray on some dry shampoo and I'm out the door.

DJ: That's the best. What's been your favorite look so far?

CS: At the Rome Film Festival I wore a seafoam green Valentino dress that I loved [near left]. I also have to say, I love everything you wore to the Toronto Film Festival last year.

DJ: That green Valentino gown [right, middle] was one of my all-time favorites. It looked like a pretty artichocke.

CS: What fashion item are you obsessed with right now?

DJ: Jumpsuits. I just got this great Dries Van Noten one. But it's a problem because now jumpsuits are all I want to wear.

CS: You wore a blue jumpsuit with a scrunchie on your wrist to the Independent Spirit Awards [below, near right]. I just looked it up.

DJ: I did. That scrunchie was from [my stylist] Kate Young. But I do love them. I have tons all over my house right now.

CS: On the red carpet I'm always just trying to find the balance of feeling sexy and condifent but also comfortable.

DJ: Same. Fashion can be so crazy. Someone like Timothée Chalamet looks amazing in, like, a harness, but that's wild to me. I've never had the desire to wear somenthing like that.

CS: I'm so awful in heels that sometimes I have to go over to my stylist Chris Classen's house and have heel rehearsals.

DJ: No, you don't! Oh, heavens. [laughs]

CS: I do! I have to work on my face poses too. Duck face is no good.

DJ: I never want to feel any more uncomfortable than I already do on the carpet. But it will always be strange to have so much scrutiny on your appearance. Like, everyone was freaking out when they thought that I'd closed the gap in my teeth.

CS: Oh, right! That was crazy.

DJ: The whole thing was a nightmare for me, honestly. I was so upset bacause I've had the gap my whole life. But when I had a retainer on the back of my teeth taken off, it closed by itself. The fact that it was global news was so shocking to me because of the actual global news that we should be talking about. But, anyway, now I have a retainer, and I'm trying to get my gap back. [laughs]

CS: Another look I wanted to ask you about was the Gucci Met Gala dress [top, right] that seemed to tie into your movie Suspiria.

DJ: That dress was see-through, but nobody really noticed, which is hilarious. It was actually a coincidence that it had a bleeding heart on it, but it was very Suspiria. We added blood drops so that it looked like I was dripping all over the Met, which I thought was pretty cool. The Gucci team is amazing because they let me have a say.

CS: I want to be in a Gucci ad too. Al the airport I love seeing your face coming out of a pool of water while I'm running to the gate.

DJ: I'm like a little water nymph, like, "Hi, hello!" [laughs]

CS: What's an item of clothing you wish you could pull off?

DJ: I can't pull off shorts. Of any kind. I hate them. The only pair I have are these big denim ones that only sometimes look cool.

CS: Do you keep things from your films? I stole the boots from Bad Times, and I use them as bookends in my apartment.

DJ: I hardly keep anything. From Fifty Shades of Grey I kept regular stuff like socks and T-shirts. Nothing scandalous.

CS: Who is your personal style icon?

DJ: Lee Radziwill. She wore a trouser better than anybody.

CS: We both love vintage shopping, but I get really protective and weird about telling people my favorite spots. Is there one shop that you're willing to share with me?

DJ: Have you been to Filth Mart in L.A? You'll love it.

CS: Nope, but I'll go now! Last question: You just turned 30. What did you learn about style in your 20s? Help me out.

DJ: Oh, I have some regrets, like really low-cuts jeans.

CS: Those are back, though! Go look on Instagram.

DJ: I refuse to believe it. What's your biggest fashion regret?

CS: Crocs. It's like a third-grade regret. I also went through a very weird headband phase. But that's back when I was cute, you know?


DJ: Girl, come on. You're still cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment